Download

Page 4: “Hundred of North Petherton: Bawdrip, Bridgwater Within, Bridgwater Without, Chedzoy; Durston, North Petherton, Pawlett, St. Michael Church, Thurloxton, Wembdon.”

Page 23: Councillor for North Petherton: “Rev. Percy Turner Pryce-Michell, Huntworth house, North Petherton Bridgwater”

Page 363: “North Petherton is a large village and parish, 3 miles south-by-west from Bridgwater stations on the Bristol and Exeter section of the main line of the Great Western and the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railways, in the Bridgwater parliamentary division, hundred of North Petherton, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Bridgwater and in the rural deanery of Bridgwater, archdeaconry of Taunton and diocese of Bath and Wells. The river Parret and the Taunton and Bridgwater canal pass through the parish. The village consists of one main street on the high road from Bridgwater to Taunton and a few smaller ones on either side. The church of St. Mary is an edifice of red sandstone in the later English style consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles of the decorated period, containing a clock and six bells, recast and rehung by Mears and Stainbank at a cost of £360; in 1912 the tower was repaired at a cost of £1,000; in 1888 a new organ was erected at a cost of over £600; a memorial window has been placed in the portman chapel to the Hon. Maurice Berkeley Portman, d. 12 Jan. 1888; the church has been restored since 1873, at a cost of £1,284 nd in 1909 the oak roofs of both aisles and the nave were opened and three new screens erected at a cost of £2,000; there are sittings for 700 persons. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £485, with residence, in the gift of Miss Pascoe, and held since 1917 by the Rev. Joh Addy A.K.C.L. The Congregational chapel is a building of stone in the Lombardic style, erected in 1833. The cemetery, formed in 1856, but since enlarged and re-consecrated, is a quarter of a mile east of the church, and has two mortuary chapels; it is under the control of the Parish Council of 13 members. The charities consist of a house and land, the gift of Dorothy Cheeke in 1867, for teaching six or more poor children; a rent-charge of £2 by Thomas Bacon; and £500 given by will by Sir Thomas Wroth, in 1721, the interest of which, under a scheme of the Charity Commissioners, is now given to the children attending the Board schools in money and prizes. The chief landowners are Viscount Portman, Sir A.F. Slade bart. Who is lord of the manor, Lord Wharton and Lieut-Col. William Oliver Meade-King D.L. The soil is red marl, loam and sandy; sub-soil, various. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and green crops, with a good portion of pasture land. The area of the civil parish is 10,431 acres of land, 53 of water, 17 of tidal water and 16 of foreshore; rateable value £23,132; the population in 1911 was: civil 3,338; ecclesiastical, 1,985.

Under the provisions of the “Divided Parishes Act, 1882” (45 and 46 Vict. C. 58), Cular and Lynd Drove was transferred from North Petherton to Lyng.

North Newton and Moorland, or North Moor Green, are ecclesiastical parishes formed from North Petherton civil parish, and will be found under separate headings.

Huntworth is a hamlet about 1.5 miles north-east.

-County Police station, Fore street, Charles Hil, sergeant & 1 Constable

Post, M.O.T & Telephone call office—Henry Wood, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Bridgwater Huntworth, delivery from Bridgwater.

Wall Letter Boxes, In the Village; Hedging; shearston; Compass & Shovel Hill.

Public Elementary school, erected in 1877 & enlarged in 1895, for 150 boys & 150 girls and 150 infants; Henry Philip Apter, head master; Mrs Harriet Day, Mistress; Miss Kate Nation, infants’ mistress.

The school is controlled by nine managers, appropriated July 1, 1903, six by the County Council and three by the Parish Council; T.M.Reed, solicitor, Kind Square, Bridgwater, correspondent

Carriers to Bridgwater—Charles Brewer, daily; Ernest Habberfield, daily.

Private residents:

NORTH PETHERTON – PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Addy Rev. John A.K.C.L. (vicar), Vicarage

Apter Henry Philip, Southview

Avery Mrs. Magnolia. house

Burge James, Rhode

Carrington Stanley, Ashfield house

Chick Joseph, Brae side

Havil Mrs

Hawkins Caesar Fredk, Ashway villa

Lloyd Rev. David (Congregational), Clare Street

Merson Francis James, Farringdon Nelson Brig.-Gen. Hubert, Shovell

Nicholls Miss, Quantock view

Palmer William Henry, FairIawn viI

Pocock Robert, Lingfield

Popham Richard

Price George, Fore street

Pryce-Michell Rev. Percy Turner M.A. Huntworth house

Taylor Clifford, Heathfield lodge

Todd The Misses, Old vicarage

Walker· H. Banes, Verriers

Williams George Carne, Batts house

Commercial:

Addicott A. shopkeeper

Baker. James, beer retlr. Hammet st

Bond Albert, insurance agent

Bond George, farmer, Willstock farm

Bond James Orchard, farmer, Hedging house

Brewer Charles, carrier

Browning John, smith

Bult Henry, market gardener, Rydon

Burrows Frederick William, carpenter

Burston Henry, pig dealer

Burston Thos. pig dealer, Crosswell

Burston Walter, pig dealer

Carter Sidney Frank, Clarence P.H

Callow Clifford, farmer, Heathfield Cemetery (Wm. Hy. Palmer, clerk)

Chapman Thomas Bond, farmer, Parkersfield farm

Chedzoy Henry, market gardener

Clatworthy John & Sons: builders, · contractors, builders’ merchants, undertakers & general smiths & agents for Raleigh cycles ; offices & workshops, Fore st. TN 2

Coates Clifford, farmer, Heathfield

Collard Win. market. gardnr. Coxhill

Coram Francis, farmer, Woolmersdon

Culverwell Wm. frmr. Woolmersdon

Davey John, market gardener, Rydon

Davis E. (Mrs.), deputy registrar of births & deaths North Petherton district, Bridgwater union

Davis Ernest, Joe, relieving officer No. 3 district & vaccination officer & registrar of births & deaths North Petherton sub-district, Bridgwater union

Day Albert Henry, farmer. Pratt’s frm

Day Jas. farmer, Shovell Hill farm

Day Samuel, farmer, Dyer’s green

Durman George, plumber

Edbrooke Hy. farmer, Rhode (letters through Bridgwater)

Fermor Arth . beer retlr. Hammet st

Gadd Samuel, baker, Fore street

Gardner John, tailor

Gould Andrew, farmer

Habberfield Ernest, miller (water & steam) & carrier

Habberfield John, farmer

Hagon & Teek , solicitors; & at Bridgwater

Harden David, farmer, Staffland farm

Hawkins Caesar Frederick M.R.C.S. Eng. , L.S.A. Lond. surgeon, & medi­cal officer No. 9 & public vaccina­tor, No. 10 district, Bridgwater union, Ashway villa .

Heal Robert, farmer, Kings farm

House Thomas George, insurance agent

Hutchings Thomas, farmer, Rhode

Jeanes John, farmer, Bankland

Jenkins John, wicker work manufacturer

Jenkins Jn. F. farmer, Church Hill farm

King Arthur, George hotel

Lillington James, beer retlr. Compass

London Countv Westminster & Parr’s Bank Limited (branch) ; tues. & fri. 10.30 a.m. to 1.30 p.m.; head office, 41 Lothbury EC2

Marks William, beer retailer

Major & Sons, grocers

Merson Fras. Jas. farmer, Farringdon

Miller Thomas, basket maker

Moate Samuel, farmer

Morris Albert, farmer, Goodings farm

Morris Edward, farmer, Chapel hill

Norman Christopher W.frmr.Park fm

North Petherton Athletic Association (Edward Rich, hon. sec)

Palmer William Henry & Son, auc­tioneers, accountants, insurance & land agents; & at Bridgwater Palmer

William Henry, assist. oversr

Payne Albert, farmer, Spitgrove

Peirce William, cycle agent

Phillips William, Lamb inn

Pocock Frederick, hair dresser

Pocock Jeremiah, saddler

Pocock Percy, farmer, Baymead

Pocock Robert, horse dealer

Popham Richard, sanitary inspector to Bridgwater Rural District Council

Quantock Vale Cider Co. Limited (William Dunlop McCreath, sec)

Rich William O. saddler, Fore street

Ridge Henry & Son, wheelwrights

Ridge James, blacksmith

Rogers & Son, butchers, Fore street

Saunders WIlliam, haulier, Dye House

Selick Anthony, mason, Mill street

Shattock WIlliam, farmer, Shearston

Shepherd Harry, grocer, Fore street

Sibley Francis, farmer, Ball’s farm

Slocombe John & Son, wicker chair manufacturers

Slocombe John & William, builders

Slocombe Walter, farmer, daws farm

Smith Alfred, basket maker, Compass

Sparkes WIlliam, beer retailer

Starkey, Knight & Ford limited, cider manufacturers & brewers, North Petherton brewery & at Taunton & Bridgwater

Studley George Henry, Swann inn

Townsend & Son, grocers, Fore street

Tregaskis Valentine, hair dresser

Tucker Lucy (Mrs.), dress maker

Vickery Emma (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Queen Street

Warren John, baker

Warren William, shopkeeper Fore st

West Joseph, market gardener

West Richard, greengrocer

White William, farmer Boomer farm

Wilkins Charles William, shoe maker

Wilkins Edwd. farmer, Milestone farm

Wilkins Thomas Grislock daryman

Willias John, haulier

Williams Samuel, marine store dealr

Winslade Walt, blacksmith Shearston

HUNTWORTH

Waddon Clifford Charles, The Hayes

Adams Henry, shopkeeper

Baker Mary (Mrs.), beer retailer

Milton Thos. farmer. huntworth Park Farm

Moate William, farmer

Smith Jacob, basket maker

Wills George, farmer

August 2021
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031